Today’s is a guest post by Maya, whom you may know as one of AJATT’s most prolific contributors of sweet links of the “reliving childhood joy” variety. Recently, she’s also enjoyed great SRS success with extensive one-by-one deletion of crappy cards.
Anyway, the being known as Maya has now graduated from simply being a good-looking Japanese learner with great taste in blogs, to a good-looking Japanese learner with great taste in blogs who does bribery and extortion 😉 . I’m not saying she threatened my family and offered me money for this post. I’m just saying…I have a PayPal account. So, without further ado, here’s a guest post from Maya herself about a new, free and friendly reading contest!
Hey, you! Yes, YOU!
Do you remember what it was like being a kid? Those good ol’ days, when decisions were made by going “eeny-meeny-miney-moe”? When money problems were settled by the banker in Monopoly, and “old” referred to anyone over 20? When having a lunch box plastered with Power Rangers stickers made you the coolest kid in school, and a trip to Toys ‘R Us seemed way cooler than going to the mall?
Back then, everything you did in school had some connection to something fun. Y’know, those good ol’ days when “learning physics” really meant “watching ‘Bill Nye the Science Guy’ videos”, and math class involved as many pictures and drawings as it did numbers. Back when fifteen whole minutes of reading guaranteed you getting a big, sparkly sticker, thereby making you the superstar of your class.
This April, 2010, I (Maya) am inviting you to go back to those times – to get back into the “if it’s not fun, #’!#& it” mentality. I’m inviting you to join…
That’s right – a reading contest. Here’s the scoop:
- The contest is web-based; everyone, regardless of location, is welcome and encouraged to join
- Contest starts April 1st, 2010 and ends April 30th, 2010 local time (whatever that is for you)
- Winner = whoever reads the largest number of pages
- One “page” = a page in a manga; a page in a book; a webpage; one newspaper article, etc
- Participants will be encouraged to give weekly updates of their progress (for extra drama), but only the end (monthly) results will be considered final
- Winners will be awarded sparkly e-stickers, along with the glory of looking cool on the Internet
- Non-winners will be awarded… not sparkly e-stickers
- All participants will get the chance to be inspired to do more reading in a month than they might have done otherwise
- Learners of languages other than Japanese are also welcome to join
That’s all. Participation is (of course) free, and dropping out halfway through is also allowed. If you’d like to join, please leave a comment either under this post or under the post in this link with your name (doesn’t have to be your real name) and the language(s) you will be reading in (for this contest, any reading done in your native language(s) will not count).
That’s about all. Let’s get the reading started!
That’s it. Let the fun begin. Feel free to send any questions/comments you have about the contest to Maya directly since…they’ll actually get answered that way 🙂 .