- Be a mang. Play hard. But play fair.
Grow some ovaries. If you have a problem, say it to Japanese people’s face. Politely. In Japanese. #
- “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.”
I used to love collecting these 😀 #
- Learn your Japanese animal sounds in a rap song!
YouTube – ＫＲＥＶＡ – あかさたなはまやらわをん bit.ly/8PRw6j #
- For best long-term results, you may want to SRS this type of thing.
- Why to use a monlingual dictionary: “…glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
- “People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don’t know when to quit.”
- From last link:
“He who would do some great thing…must apply himself…with such a concentration of his forces as…looks like insanity.” #
- “drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling.”
Translated: Immerse always. SRS often.
- “The man [or woo man :D] who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” #
- From last link
“Those who would attain to any marked degree of excellence in a chosen pursuit must…[play] hard for it, prince or peasant. #
- “with ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable.”
- “Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.”
- This is my SONG, dawg.
YouTube – Yuzu – Natsuiro (PV) bit.ly/7Tneuq
Do people even say “dawg” any more? #
- “Success seems to be connected with action. Successful men keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.”
- “It is a shameful thing for the soul to faint while the body still perseveres.”
In AJATTese: don’t fall for the age excuse. #
- The key to success, folks, is substance abuse. Find an “addictive substance” in your language of choice. And it will almost learn itself 🙂 #
- I remember this show…it was cool.
RT @Jamaipanese Stand UP!! – Japanese Drama review – bit.ly/5WqbU0 #
- Khatzumoto Confession: I do most of my SRS reps lying down. And you thought I was just being metaphorical about laziness. #
- Don’t just go running to your gaijin buddies for beer and whining. If you have a problem, say it to Japanese people’s face. Politely. 日本語で. #
- 落語baby! All you Tiger & Dragon fans, check out the real deal!
- For gaijin, comfort in Japan = (Japaneseness) x (Gaijinness). Like your hands, you’re best off when able to use both of them. #
- Some people will refuse to speak their language to you until your ownage is overwhelming. 冇問題. It’s not like they’re your parents. #
- Gaijinness is a great asset in Japan, but it only reaches its full potential when combined with the ability to assimilate as/when needed. #
- The less time you have, the better work you will do. Make Japanese seem fast-paced using timeboxing and Massive Turnover. #
- Being foreign is perhaps the best way to make friends in Japan. But being “Japanese” is perhaps the best way to keep them. #
- Timeboxing is to work as nearby power lines are to a moving car. It makes it look like you’re going faster, and that itself motivates speed. #
- Efficiency increases as allotted time decreases. Increase your Japanese progress by always pinching your time. #
- Bored? Either replenish or keep switching through your Japanese media collection. Turnover. Turnover. Turnover. Something cool will come up. #
- Many people contact me, wanting me to soothe their uncertainty with busywork. You can only force things so much — just chill and have fun. #
- “In truth, there are no masters, only students who are at one point or other on the journey”.
- Boredom is merely a sign of ignorance, albeit (hopefully) of a form temporary in nature. #
- SRS: Busywork and boredom get in my way the most. Remove the cards/processes that cause these. #
- Random HK blog 😀
traccc on Xanga bit.ly/8hNwyk #
- Hunch: we do our best reading when we’re not trying to read at all. Treat books as something to be processed, rather than read. #
- A quick tip to get you to read more: Treat your house like a bookstore — *read standing up* until you tire out from it. #
- (Written) explanations of how to make a sound tend be inCREDibly useless. I’m sure there are exceptions but…dang. #
- For gaijin, comfort 中n Japan = (Japaneseness) x (Gaijinness). Like your hands, you’re best off when able to 使se 両oth 之f them. #
- I know you’re scared that “just” playing won’t get you anywhere. Go experience pain and boredom for a while, and see how that goes. #
- Use this to make sure you actually visit all those Japanese websites people send you links to 😀 bit.ly/78ojmB #
- Most arguments aren’t about what they’re about. They’re about face. That’s why it’s useless to get into them at all. #
- Maybe “weabo” is just a term that internationally maladjusted people use to make themselves feel better. :)~ #
- Social power’s always connected to language. Long-term, not knowing Japanese in Japan is voluntary self-exclusion from power. #
- I loved this skit back in the day. The middle part is funny even with no Japanese knowledge. YT: ドランクドラゴン 変な新幹線http://bit.ly/5sRTHd #
- Boredom is merely a sign of ignorance — ignorance of what cool stuff there is to do “out there”. #
- Boredom is ignorance. Expose yourself to more, and you will find the fun. (To me, “out there” often = unexplored corners of bookshelf 😀 ). #
- Immersion = live your life. Just in a different font 😀 #
- Respect books less, and you will read them more. See more pages, and you will read more. Touch more units, and you will read more. #
- Timebox yourself. Time is to productivity as a squeezing hand is to a tube of toothpaste — you need that pinch, to get it out. #
- Tip for AJATT success: don’t try to give a care about things you don’t give a care about. #
- 何と言ってもやっぱり独立記念日こと「インディペンデンスデイ」は凄かったわ。ウィルス・ミスかっこいい！（＾＾）http://bit.ly/8FKVQg #
“Oh no you did NOT shoot that green **** at me!”
- 「嗚呼、おい、緑の変なモン撃って来るな！」”Oh no you did NOT shoot that green **** at me!”http://bit.ly/6Hh2Ed #
“I’m not Jewish.”
- People who never actually do anything, always seem to have very clear ideas as to what “should” be/have been done. (Finally got it right :D) #
- Not-reading — weeding out, triage — is the true work of the reader. #
- Information is no respecter of persons.
And a language is nothing but information. #
- Basics. Basics. Basics. Do the easy things. Do the simple things. It’s not “too easy”. It’s not “childish”. It matters. Du za shimpuru 日本語. #
- Don’t branch out for the sake of branching out. If you’re enraptured in Japanese “Stargate” right now, then let the passion run its course. #
- RT @tummai I agree on the value of easy stuff. I’ve had great success with children’s shows and books: tinyurl.com/yzsqmw3 #
- インディペンデンスデイを見たセイで、「plausible deniability」がちゃんと和訳したくなっちゃった。今のとこ候補として：『有理否認性／許容可能否認性／合理的否認性／条理的否認性／有り有り否認性』がある。ご意見・ご訳案お持ちの方、お申し付け下さい！ #
- Monodics and circumlocution FTW! Don’t know how to say “purr”? Be like: “that ‘rrrrrr’ sound that cats make when they’re happy”. #
- Get over the tall tales, the excuses, the whining.
You can learn to read Chinese just fine.
It’s just a human language. #
- ﾂｲｯﾀｰ流行用語「なう」の解説 : モニ太のデジタル辞典 : コラム : ネット＆デジタル : YOMIURI ONLINE（読売新聞） bit.ly/6ENSpY #
- Repeat the basics. Repeat the basics. Repeat the basics. Learn all kinds of combinations of the same basic words. And repeat them. #
- あのさー、思うんだけどさ、日本の若者って、「ちわっす」とか挨拶して軽く連発会釈をする時って、「ファミリガイ」のQuagmireに似てない？ｷﾞｷﾞﾃﾞｨｷﾞｷﾞﾃﾞｨｵｰﾗｲ #
- This is the real shizzle. A book about formal speaking, by Japanese people for Japanese people. Tons of set phrases.bit.ly/6JHEQ2 #
- If you don’t actively get rid of the books you dislike, you won’t just dislike those books, you will start to dislike all books. #
- If you don’t actively get rid of boring stuff in Japanese, the boredom spreads like a cancer until you just hate ALL of Japanese. #
- Gosh, I hope Twitter’s been down so no one had to see that last corny tweet 😀 #
- Dangerously silly idea: I can only take a small action, so I might as well do nothing. You used to be a cell. Don’t knock small. #
- RT @TheoOliveira free pdf manga about ubuntu in japanese.
- The worst way to repair a backlog is to work yourself even harder to make up for it. That’s what got you in trouble to begin with. #
- The way to take care of a backlog is to work small: to teach yourself that incremental, slow and steady does win. #
- “Delete bad SRS cards or they will delete you”
(Paraphrased from Zeeree…paraphrased from me(?) lol)…
- Sometimes I do like silence. But I maintain some “visual immersion” by having a video playing on mute. #
- “there is no support for age as a barrier to mental development…including foreign language learning”
- Learning a language is more logistics than linguistics: you need to establish and maintain a supply line of native materials. #
- It’s not the language. It’s not you. It’s your habitual behavior. #
- In the time you spend beating yourself up and calling yourself an idiot, you could just fix the problem. #
- People, I don’t think you quite understand. They are the Gummie Bears, and that’s all there is to it! (Video @ bottom) bit.ly/5Upfnh #
- These people, these, mammals…they don’t mince words. They are the Gummie bears. That’s how they roll. bit.ly/5Upfnh #
- Approach learning a language like a game or an experiment. By definition, there’s no wrong way to have fun or try stuff out. #
- You don’t really realize just how repetitive your thinking is until you look back on your own writing (ID4/AFGM/CT). bit.ly/8dk9LS #
- The zeroth law of language-learning: Zero in, zero out. If you stop, you lose. If you walk, you win. #
- You can’t sprint long distances. Don’t be a hero. Walk. The point is to get there. As long as you’re moving, you’re winning. #
- This isn’t one of those things one admits in public, but…「にゃんこい！」 is like my favorite anime right now. Dang. #
- I don’t think liking 「にゃんこい！」 makes me a punk: the main cat is voiced by TANAKA Atsuko = Motoko from GITS. That’s pedigree, man. #
You guys are the best and I want to have your babies.
So...Let me have your babies.
Wait, what? All uterine humour aside #StopUterusShamingMeBro, seriously, your support means more than you know and I (Khatz ← that's me) am deeply grateful for each and every one of you. Thank you so, so much. Thanks for believing in me, thanks for taking action, thanks for being there.
If you would like to support the continuing production of AJATT content as well as two adorable cats (yes, actual cats) please consider making a monthly donation through Patreon. Right there. Go on. Click on it.