- How To Speak Like A Native
- Mastery is Mastering the Basics
- Where Not To Learn Japanese From
- How To Get A Specific Accent
- How to Pronounce Japanese
- Language Is Acting
- Luxurious Worries, Or: So Effing What If You Sound Like An Anime?!
- Success Story: Emotional Context Learning — Using Phrases Correctly Without Actively Learning Them Or Knowing What They Actually Mean
- You Are What You Eat, You Write What You Read, You Speak What You Hear
- Why You Should Keep Listening Even If You Don’t Understand
- If Anime Is Bad For Your Japanese, Then Nursery Rhymes Are Bad For Your English
- No Humans Necessary: Why You Don’t Need People to Learn a Language
People, I am sick and phequing tired of hearing it.
Whether on the Internets or in RL, if Japanese is the topic of discussion, there always seems to be a kind, intelligent, well-meaning buck futter waiting in the wings to tell you: “Don’t learn Japanese from anime yada yada yada 1“. It’s like Towelie from South Park, but pretentious and lame and unanimated.
- “Anime is bad for your Japanese” = “Futsal is bad for your soccer”
- A non-native-level user of Japanese worried about sounding like anime = a person in the desert, about to die of thirst, insisting on Evian.
You are not in a position to be worrying about this kind of thing. You are literally covered in ignorance. You are in the ignorance toilet and need to wipe. Who cares what color the toilet paper is: wipe your behind first.
I mean, this is madness. Thus us Sparta. This is like getting a on baby’s case because she puts the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle when she says her first word. I mean, for the love of milk and cereal, man.
Premature optimization is the root of all evil. Let go. Let it go. Let it all go. Watch anime and talk like an anime character. It’s fine. ‘Coz guess what? Anime is Japanese! By Japanese people, for Japanese people. So saying you “sound like an anime” is just saying you sound Japanese, which is kinda sorta generally considered a good thing when you’re (get this…wait for it…hold…hold…) speaking Japanese.
Plus, you’re just a kid 4, Japanesewise. Talk like an anime. It’s a phase you need to go through 😉 . You’ll outgrow it and be able to talk proper — just like a stuck-up jerk on the Internet — later. So let’s review:
- Childhood now.
- Soul-deadening gayness 5 later.
End of rant. Now go back to your Ergo Proxy.
“I would rather learn from and speak like an anime character than spend so much time worrying about my source of learning that I don’t learn anything at all!”
- Not only is this hate speech, there’s also a pun in here somewhere ↩
- Well, phrase ↩
- (ぜいたくななやみ） ↩
- Have you ever heard Japanese toddlers talk? Japanese toddlers do not use keigo, and the ones that do are going to have absolutely epic mommy issues in a couple thousand days: don’t look at me like that, you know it’s true 😛 . ↩
- and by “gay”, I mean blacks and Jews ↩