K. Look. I want you to buy the QRG. I really do. I want you to buy two! No, I want you to buy ten! One for everyone in your nuclear family, and maybe one for the grandparents and a favorite uncle or aunt. And of course, the family pets. Indeed, the QRG is the only thing in the world that will make you happy, popular and thin. But you know what?
You don’t need the QRG
You don’t. You don’t need to buy this. If you would just freaking read this site 😉 — there is a table of contents — the information is there. For free. Even within the QRG itself, I have links to certain articles here on the actual AJATT site. Because, you know what? I did write this stuff for reading. Now I’m just being rude 🙂 .
Also, if you’re already at the point where you’re doing monolingual sentences (implying that you’ve long been immersing, know kanji and all that good stuff), then there will be virtually nothing in the QRG from which you can benefit. No 裏技 here…there’ll be another time, place and product for those.
Anyway, since you’ve read this far, it looks like I can’t dissuade you from purchasing the QRG. So, I guess I should let you know:
What’s In The Package
In version 1.0, simply an ebook. PDF format. About 50 pages. Sparse text, strong visuals — like a slideshow. Japanese-specific. Batteries not included. It is short. Brief. Laconic. That’s the point. “Quick” Reference Guide, not “The Bible”. Where AJATT the site is about laughs and verbosity, the QRG has taken terseness to new heights. Where the value of AJATT the site is in what is there, the value of the QRG is in what isn’t; its brevity is its strength. Do not expect AJATT in book form. This is less book and more booklet.
After much comment analysis and one-on-one consulting, it occurred to me that there are, broadly speaking, two types of questions that would-be AJATTeers have.
Question Type The First: I-Missed-A-Major-Part-Of-The-Big-Picture Questions. Questions like “but how do I translate a sentence I can’t understand?” from someone who hasn’t yet touched their kanji, and has clearly missed some major points.
Question Type The Second: I-Think-Khatzumoto-Is-Omnipotent-and-Omniscient-and-I-Want-People-To-Make-Decisions-For-Me questions. “Should I avoid science manga because it’ll make me talk like a scientist?” — that sort of thing. These are questions that, ultimately, I think do not warrant answering because either (i) I don’t know, or (ii) it doesn’t matter anyway, or (iii) common sense — and the self-confidence to act upon it — would tend to lead one to a reasonable answer.
The original idea of the QRG was to cater to this…hunger for minute detail. But I realized that most minutiae are highly personal, ephemeral, and best left to individuals to decide for themselves. I wouldn’t want those decisions made for me, and I won’t make them for you. Part of the fun of learning on your own is not being tied down to what ultimately amount to someone else’s pet rituals that they may eventually just abandon or alter anyway.
The QRG is a funnel, carrying you safely from the jug of confusion into the cup of action. It takes you by its pretty little hand and walks you down the street, keeping you focused only on what you need to focus on. It has detail — but only the detail you need at a particular point in time. With short, concise explanations, a simple, clear structure and more lucid visual aids than you can shake a stick at, it abstracts away extraneous information, protecting you from it until you need to know it, thus helping you maintain that clear and narrowly targeted vision that is essential to actually getting stuff done. By imparting an unambiguous macro-level image, and detailed, ordered action steps in their plainest, most vanilla form, it should get you working quickly, and empower you to take independent action with more confidence than before.
Is There Any Information That’s In the QRG That’s Not At All Here on the AJATT Site? Yes. A whole special section on AJATT time management, new diagrams, and cetera.
So Who Does Need the QRG? People who want to acquire Japanese, but don’t know where to start, and are intimidated by the table of contents, unsure what action to take. One of the minor weaknesses in the otherwise perfect and holy main AJATT blook (this site) is that it doesn’t tell you when to stop reading and go do something. And it doesn’t always tell you when certain information applies to you and when it doesn’t. The QRG takes care of that. Videogamewise, it is a careful walkthrough.
Buy It Now 😉 !
So there you have it. All that’s left to do is click. Your copy is waiting for you. Buy it now. Do it. You need this. You want this. You deserve this. Treat yourself. You’re worth it. It will bring MJ back to life; it will make it all better, I swear. Do it.
Go on. You know you want to. And guess what? The QRG now also includes:
- 1 free month of AJATT Plus — premium multimedia AJATT content combined with access to the AJATT+ Forum: The Most Intelligent, Civilized and Trolless Forum in the Multiverse (for free!)
- Your AJATT Plus subscription will automatically continue beyond the first, free month unless you cancel it.
- If you don’t want the subscription at all, you may cancel it at any time (even right after your purchase) and still keep your free month of AJATT Plus anyway. Aren’t I awesome?
- 2 (count ’em — two) super special secret freebies. I’m not saying there’s going to be something like another sentence pack inside there, or some sort of MCD mini-guide (a subset of the MCD Revolution Kit) inside, because, no, the super special secret freebies are…a secret, and telling you what the secret is would ruin the surprise, I mean, duh.
- All 100% DRM-free. No DRM whatsoever: I hate DRM. I trust you. You’re a good person. I know you’re not going to screw me over. I believe you should and must have the right to remix (copy and paste, etc.) information for your personal, educational use. I believe that information is for fiddling with, not just looking at. I believe that you, a paying customer, should and must not be treated like a freaking criminal and subjected to ludicrous, draconian restrictions on how you manipulate data you paid for for you own consumption. The QRG is easy to copy and paste and otherwise manipulate digitally for your personal, educational use, so that you can get the maximum possible value out of it.
Satisfaction, Or Your Money Back
Finally: Your happiness matters to me more than your money. Actually, that’s not true at all, but it seems like the sort of thing one should say in these situations 🙂 . Anyway, if you are less than happy with the QRG, don’t sit there feeling bad, just contact me for a full refund: qrg at ajatt dot com