- Protected: Making Decisions Is Your Life Now
- The First World Problem is Choice, Or: Which Language Should I Learn?
- Indecision Just Means Any Will Do: The Problem is Choice
- Logical Reasons to Learn A Language…
- Action is Easy. Decision is Hard.
- All Choices Are Binary
- How Can I Turn Big, Complex Decisions Into Binary Decisions, Just Like the Cool Kids? Decision Binarization In Action: A Real Life Example
“If you’ve got all the information and it is that difficult to decide between them, it doesn’t really matter which one you pick. The reason you can’t decide is because one is not sticking out as better for you, so just pick one and do it.”
- Can’t pick a language?
- Can’t pick an SRS score for that card?
- Don’t know whether to use Surusu or Anki (hint: pick Surusu; I’m totally not biased 😛 )?
Then eff it. Pick whichever. The fact that you’re undecided means it doesn’t matter which you choose. How do I know? Well, in the course of your daily affairs, are you ever undecided over whether or not to breathe? No. Why? Because one choice (breathing) is obviously better than the other (not breathing).
The problem is choice. The problem of choice. The problem is there is no problem. Indecision just means any will do.
But…but…but…what if I know more later? What if I find out something later that will make me regret the decision I made?
Yeah. Key word: later. You will know more later. There will be another choice, dozens, millions of choices to make later. But only if you act now based on what you know now. Move on.
I know. You’re afraid you’ll make “the” wrong choice and “regret” it. But regret isn’t regret. Regret is just information you didn’t have at the time. But you only live in the present and you only have the information you have in the present. You only know what you know now. Don’t be a jerkwad to yourself. You have no way of knowing what you will know in the future. So you have no reason to regret anything. You (probably 😛 ) can’t cry time into regressing. And you (definitely) don’t need to.
Make a choice now. Make new choices later.